- 750g frozen spinach
- 250g low fat feta cheese
- 500g low fat cottage cheese
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dill, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 14 sheets filo pastry (filo is very low in fat, it is the butter you put in between the layers that adds fat)
- 3 tablespoons of butter melted or olive oil (you can also use an olive oil spray - works really well)
2. Mash the cheeses together with a fork, Add the eggs, spinach, dill, nutmeg, salt if necessary (take into account the saltiness of the cheese), and pepper.
3. Use a large baking pan a little smaller than the filo sheets. Brush the pan with butter or olive oil. Place half the package of filo, or about 7 sheets, one on top of another, at the bottom of the pan, brushing each sheet with melted butter or oil and letting the sheets come up along the sides.
4. Spread the filling evenly on top. Then cover with the remaining sheets, brushing each, including the top one, with melted butter or oil.
5. With a sharp pointed knife, cut into 5cm squares or diamonds with parallel lines, only down to the filling, not right through.
6. Bake at 180 degrees for 30-45 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
I served this with a simple tomato and onion salad. DELICIOUS
IRENE INDEX: 8