Enough for 4 people
1 fennel bulb
1 red onion
2 sticks of celery
300g crab meat
300g risotto rice
1/2 small bunch flat leaf parsley
1/2 bunch basil
800ml vegetable broth (I had frozen fish stock that I used)
200ml white wine
salt and pepper
- Slice the onion, celery and the fennel bulb as finely as you can. (I used a mandolin). Reserve half the fennel for later.
- You can do this step whenever you like during the cooking process, but i will put it in the beginning. Take half the fennel, basil and the parsley leaves and combine with olive oil and juice of half a lemon, season with salt and pepper. You will use this salad on top of the risotto at the end.
- Place a large saucepan on a low to medium heat. Add the butter, a splash of olive oil to the pan with the onion, celery and fennel. After a minute add a splash of water. You want the mixture to soften but not brown so mix and keep adding water as you go.
- In a separate pan bring the broth to th boil, then turn heat to low once boiled.
- Once the mixture is very soft add the rice to the pan and stir until the rice is translucent (about a minute). Then add the wine.
- Add a ladle full of hot broth to the rice and stir until absorbed. Keep doing this until you have used about two-thirds of the broth. The key is to keep stirring. Be patient, it really only takes 15 minutes.
- Add the crab meat to the rice at this stage then keep adding the broth until the rice is just cooked and the risotto has a nice oozy consistency. If you run out of broth and the rice is not cooked just use boiling water.
- Take the pan of risotto off the heat and stir in the juice of half the lemon. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the risotto with the parsley salad on top.