Ingredients:4 chicken breasts
400g jasmine rice, washed until water runs clear
2 spring onions , sliced thinly
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 iceberg lettuce leaf, shredded
Coriander and thinly sliced red chilli, to garnish
3 litres water
125ml shao xing wine (I used dry Sherry)
4 spring onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
4cm piece ginger, sliced thinly
2 teaspoons salt
2 litres of chicken stock
bunch of spring onions, halved
8 garlic cloves, chopped
2cm piece ginger, chopped
1 litres water
Salt and pepper, to taste
spring onion dipping sauce
2 spring onions, white part only, chopped finely
1cm piece ginger, chopped finely
1/2 bunch coriander roots, stem and leaves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon hot peanut oil
2 long red chillies
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon chicken stock
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
sweet soy sauce to serve
Mine didn't look as pretty as this one.....
Method:1. To make master stock, bring all ingredients to a boil in a stock pot. Simmer gently for 40 minutes. Add chicken pieces. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes exactly. Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, to make chicken stock, bring all ingredients to a boil in a large stockpot. Simmer until reduced to 2 litres. Strain and discard solids. Season stock.
3. To make spring onion dipping sauce, combine onions, ginger and coriander in a bowl. Season with salt.
5. To make chilli sauce, process all ingredients in a small processor until combined. Season.
6. Place 750ml of the stock in a saucepan with rice. Simmer gently, covered, for 15 minutes or until stock has been absorbed and rice is tender. ( I did this in the microwave and it was perfect)
7. Place remaining stock in a small saucepan with spring onions and garlic. Bring to a simmer. Stir through lettuce.
8. To assemble, remove chicken from master stock. Pour over sweet soy. Garnish with coriander and chilli, pouring over hot peanut oil to scald. Divide stock and lettuce mixture among separate serving bowls. Serve with rice, spring onion and chilli sauces.
- Sauce and stocks can be made several hours in advance.