Sorry for not posting for a couple of days but this week dinner consisted of eating out and on the nights that we didn't eat out it was crackers and Margarita's. Sometimes you just have to go with what you feel like!
So as penance I made this super healthy and delicious vegetarian bean dish. This is even better the second day around and the orzo makes it super hearty and filling. This recipe easily serves 8 with leftovers, but it is the kind of dish that if you are going to the effort you may as well make enough to feed an army.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- olive oil
- 3 carrots diced
- 1 red or green pepper diced
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 zucchini
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint (1 tsp dried)
- 1 tbs minced fresh dill (1 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 2 cups of cooked cannellini beans
- 2 cups Italian tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- red wine vinegar
1. Soak the cannellini beans overnight.
2. Rinse the beans in a colander.
3. In a large pot that will fit the beans and vegetables heat some olive oil and add onion, carrot, pepper and garlic. Stir for about 5 minutes over a medium low heat until onion and carrot begins to soften but not brown.
4. Add the beans, tomatoes and an additional 2 cups of water.
5. Cover and simmer for approximately 45 minutes stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom.
6. While the beans are simmering in a separate pot boil some water and cook the orzo. (As you would any pasta).
7. Add chopped zucchini, mint, dill and orzo to bean mixture and cook uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.
8. Taste the beans to make sure they are cooked. Season with salt and pepper and serve with a little vinegar on the side.
You may need to add a little water as you cook, use your judgement. It should be a thick saucy consistency.