- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 tuna steaks cut into 5cm cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped basil
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped cilantro, plus a few whole leaves for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Serve with black beans (I found these fabulous canned ones that Norton St Grocer imports. Any Spanish/Latin looking canned black beans will do.
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 avocados, peeled, halved, pitted and each half sliced in half lengthwise
- To make the tuna, combine the lemon rind, rosemary, basil, garlic and ginger in a large bowl and toss with the tuna. Let marinate at least 1 hour. Heat a grill, preferably using hard wood.
- To make the vinaigrette, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium-size cast-iron skillet. Add the corn and cook until brown. Add the red onion and scallions and cook until translucent. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and orange juice and remove from heat. Slowly stir in the remaining olive oil and the herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature.
- To make the salad, divide the greens among 4 plates. Cut each piece of avocado lengthwise into thirds, leaving the narrow ends intact. Fanning out the slices, lean 2 slices against the outside of each salad.
- Heat up the black beans on the stove or in the microwave.
- When the grill is hot, season the tuna on both sides with the salt and pepper and brush with olive oil. Place on the grill and cook until tuna is charred on the outside and medium in the center, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and slice each piece into quarters. Put a big ladleful of black beans on the plate. Drape 4 slices of tuna across the top of each salad. Spoon the vinaigrette over the top, garnish with cilantro leaves and serve immediately.
I know the photo is off centre as is the food!