Pages

Friday 6 May 2011

Za'atar Chicken with Fattoush Salad

Just the fact that there is a salad called Fattoush is enough reason in my book to make it. What did you have with your chicken? Fattoush. Oh haven't you heard of it? It's just a little something I whipped up to go with my Za'atar Chicken!

In terms of difficulty this Nigella Lawson inspired dish is so easy. You get some chicken breast and marinade it in  a couple of tablespoons of Za'atar, some olive oil and some salt. Za'atar is a spice mixture that is very easy to find. It is Middle Eastern and the primary ingredients are oregano, basil, thyme, sesame and sumac.

I marinaded the chicken breast for a couple of hours but you could leave it overnight if you have time. Once you have marinaded the chicken you put it in a roasting tin in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes depending on how thick the chicken breast is.

To make the salad, you throw together all the ingredients (tomato, cucumber, shallots) and then you grill a couple of pieces of pita bread in the oven until it becomes crispy and cut triangle pieces into the salad with some fresh mint and parsley and then you dress it. It sounds so delicious and when I made it I thought that I would know exactly what it would taste like but I was surprised at how refreshing and light the salad was. I put it down to the mint and lemon. DELICIOUS.


Ingredients

  • 500g Chicken breast
  • couple of splashes of olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons of Za'atar spice mix
  • Pinch of salt (the Za'atar spice mix that I used didn't have any salt in it but you may want to check the ingredients list before adding salt)


For the salad

  • 3 tomatoes chopped
  • 2 cucumbers chopped
  • 4 fat shallots, halved and chopped
  • 1 bunch of mint chopped
  • 1 bunch parsley chopped
  • 2 wholemeal pita breads toasted in the oven
  • juice of one lemon
  • splash of olive oil
  • salt and pepper

II: 8

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine how great this tastes, but even the photos look amazing. Have you got the new camera yet? Or just somehow improved your picture taking skills. Tell us the secret.

    ReplyDelete